balthazar

• 11 comments •

Balthazar

On a rainy NYC day, we dined at Balthazar, a restaurant in SoHo that serves "traditional bistro fare". Their seafood bar was prominently on display and looked pretty enticing, but we were still put off from the mussels we ate in Belgium, so we skipped it.

We started with the sweet pea ravioli. It was very similar to the edamame ravioli we had at Buddakan except that it also included ricotta, mint and crispy pancetta.


Sweet Pea Ravioli with ricotta, mint and crispy pancetta.


Alex ordered the roasted chicken which was served with fingerling potatoes, swiss chard, tarragon, and chanterelles (I stole a few off his plate and they are now my favorite kind of mushroom). I went with the classic steak frites.


We want the cookbook now so that we can try to recreate that pasta and the roast chicken someday. We are pretty bad cooks, but we're hoping that all the eating we've been doing will automatically make us excellent chefs. That's how it works, right?



You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Yum, We went to the balthazar from our company small company christmas party last year. It was fantastic. I had some kind of ravioli..maybe lobster and they were to die for!
    Glad you enjoyed it!
    xx
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great meal. You look beautiful Mina, love the short bangs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That food looks so good. We've been craving traditional Western food (I don't know what else to call it, I don't really want to call it "American").

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I believe that the more often you eat out, the better cook you become. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ravioli looks sooo yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the very first place I took Scott when he came to visit me in NYC before I moved out to CA. Memories! He was "interviewed" by my friends that morning at Balthazar (aka getting the stamp of approval) after a red-eye flight from San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want the cookbook too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, that all looks delicious! And your hair looks adorable! ♥

    Next Trip? Portugal!
    http://donandamanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. They looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have their cookbook. The chicken dish and steak frites recipes are in it, but not the ravioli :( I wish I had tried that ravioli dish. We were 8 people who dined at Balthazar, but nobody thought to order the ravioli (though I wanted to, but ended up with an octopus salad).

    Great photos! By the way, where in the world are you guys at now?

    ReplyDelete

archives

Bloglovin

Follow

Flickr